Grade Level: 2nd - 5th grade
Age:7- 10
Summary
"One Plastic Bag" tells the inspiring true story of Isatou Ceesay, a woman from Gambia who sparked a movement to fight plastic pollution in her village. The story begins with Isatou noticing how plastic bags, once seen as useful, have piled up and littered the streets, harming animals and the environment. Instead of just accepting this problem, Isatou and a group of women come together to find a solution. They begin by collecting plastic bags, washing them, and transforming them into colorful, reusable purses. This not only helps clean up the environment but also provides the women with a source of income. Over time, Isatou’s efforts inspire others to take action, and the village becomes cleaner and healthier. The book emphasizes themes of environmental responsibility, the power of community action, and how one person can make a difference. It encourages children to be aware of pollution and think about how they can take steps to protect the planet.
Element 5
This story is directly connected with Element five of the Six Elements of Social Justice Education because it shows the power of raising awareness to inspire group action. In the story, Isatou notices the growing problem of plastic pollution in her village, but rather than accepting it as unattainable she takes the first step by educating others about the harmful effects of plastic waste. Because of her efforts, she raises awareness among the women in her community, showing them how their actions can make a difference. This story encourages students to recognize that raising awareness about social or environmental issues is an essential step in bringing people together to solve the problems they face, emphasizing that informed communities are empowered communities.
How to use the book?
This is a book I would most likely read out loud to the class so I am able to ask questions and hold their attention. I would most likely have them Brainstorming before reading the story and ask them what they know about recycling, pollution, and plastic waste. I would also pose the question: “How do you think plastic affects the environment and animals?” During the reading I could ask questions such as how Isatou got other people involved and ask them about their neighborhood. As an activity I can ask them to find problems in their community such as littering, pollution or not a lot of nature. By doing this I could then ask them about ways they can spread awareness in their communities.
No comments:
Post a Comment